Tuesday 9 May 2017

QUESTION THREE - What have you learnt from your audience feedback?

To gather audience feedback on my music video and print productions I created a questionnaire. I designed the questionnaire to focus on the opinions of the audience. I used SurveyMonkey as a platform to distribute my questionnaire and to analyse my results. My questionnaire can be found here. I did also, however, email a few more questions out more about the narrative within my music video as the platform I used only allowed 10 questions. The extra questions were:

  • What themes did you think were prevalent throughout my video?
  • Did you understand the links between the video and digipak? (use of drugs, alcohol to get rid of the pain and difficulty of life)
  • Do you relate to the male or female character more? and why?
  • Who do you empathise with the male or female character? why?

When distributing my questionnaire I focused on sending it mainly to those I thought would enjoy my video/print production and also to my audience demographic (ages 17+). My audience profile expresses the interests of my target audience.

I received 23 responses to my questionnaire.

When creating the questionnaire I focused on finding out the personal opinions of those responding, as well as what they thought certain aspects meant. I had mixed reviews about my print production and my video however they were very interesting to consider and help further my personal views and abilities within film making and print productions.

Those who watched and responded to my questionnaire were predominantly male at 56% (13), females at 39% (9) and then those who preferred not to say being 4% (1). 17 and 18-year-olds made up the greatest respondents to the questionnaire coming up at 16 out of the 23 respondents. This was very important as that age was my target audience. However, I did open up the questionnaire to those older to find out their opinion the oldest respondent being 50.

From my audience feedback, I learnt a lot about what people thought about my video and digipak. For my video people seemed to enjoy it with 73.92% of people rated me between 8 and 10. I asked them to leave comments as to what they liked about the video. A lot of comments were about the style of filming and the shot types I used, however, there were a few about the narrative within the video. For example, one comment stated 'The narrative is very clear (loneliness and etc). The cutting of the track in the video fits perfectly and does not negatively affect the song. The shots and editing skills that you convey throughout is very ambitious (especially that you are one person group) the video resembles a video montage of the couples relationship. Seems amateur (but in a good way!!) which conveys the story line and makes it relates to the audience more and puts the video on their level. This whole video kept me engaged and I enjoyed every second of it!' This was a very useful comment as it touched on a range of different aspects of the video. I then flipped this question and asked what they believed could have been improved. Within this section a few people skipped it which was not gratefully helpful as I didn't then much to go on. However, the responses I did get were indeed helpful. A lot of them discussed the colour correction used as some of the shots were rather dull and could have been changed. Another comment was that because of the duplicated footage more could have been shot and used. Henry Jenkins fandom theory could be applied here due to the audience taking the meanings that were useful to them (camera angles, narrative, editing techniques) and leaving the rest. 

10 out of the 23 respondents gave me a 10/10 for my digipak. A lot of the comments talked about their interest in the simplicity and professionalism of my digipak. However, some people didn't understand the links between the video and digital. I did receive a comment that was the only one that discussed their understanding of the broader narrative and theme of pain 'The artwork on both productions look professional and creative. The medical drugs shown seem to match the narrative of the video about pains. On the post you use social media icons, this is perfect as you further promote the band through their social media which is one of the main objectives. The digipak panels are also very visually appealing, it engages me and definitely interests me. Once again the digipak is very creative and professional. ' this was very interesting as it let me know that at least someone understood the links. 

My final question was about whether they would consider buying/picking up the CD if they saw it in a shop. 100% of the respondents said they would pick it up or buy it due to the intriguing artwork used. This links to Dick Hebdige's ideas of how young people construct their identity through fashioning musical influences. This, therefore, means that as young people we construct identity through our own personal aesthetic, and by using a stylistic aesthetic that was very simple I created a broader audience to the band. 

The questions I emailed to respondents also received significant and helpful feedback.

The first question of 'What themes did you think were prevalent throughout my video?' was one that people struggled to answer the most. I received mostly general answers about broken love and failed relationships and only received the one discussing the theme of pain and medicinal placebos to kill the pain of modern day life. The second question 'Did you understand the links between the video and digipak? (use of drugs, alcohol to get rid of the pain and difficulty of life)' was another one that people struggled to answer as I think by giving the themes I predominantly used the question became very closed with less opportunity to discuss further. The final two questions 'Do you relate to the male or female character more? and why?' and 'Who do you empathise with the male or female character? why?' were somewhat linked. From the responses I learnt that the males mostly related to the male character and the females the female character. This was probably due to them either being in similar or like-minded situations or simply because of being the same age and gender. Overall more people empathised with the female character, however, some respondents said that their empathy changed at the end of the video and instead felt a similar amount of empathy to both genders due to the ale character reflecting on what he had done wrong and beginning to understand, however they enjoyed the potential of the happy ending.

Overall, I learnt that people really enjoyed my digipak and my video but there could have still been improvements made which I mostly agreed with.

No comments:

Post a Comment