Thursday 30 March 2017

QUESTION TWO - How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts? (UPDATED)


My promotional package (Digipak/Poster/Video) are not all completely linked aesthetically but are more linked due to the genre and linked via their symbolic codes. When researching music videos of the same genre a lot of them were relatively story based, they also linked to the lyrics a lot. However, their album covers were very simplistic. For example, I looked a lot into Catfish and the Bottlemen.

I had a pharmaceutical theme after looking at the album Ladies and Gentlemen We are Floating in Space.

This influenced me because I also employed the metaphorical concept
of pharmaceutical drugs as a way to cope with the struggles
of the modern world.
It shows how we are simply all people making pointless relationships although we are just floating in space and are at some point going to die. This is very much the approach I took. I chose to show how the world is an awful place where as humans we rely on drugs and alcohol to kill pain, whether it be physical or emotional. My video links to this as it shows the breaking down of a relationship and how the male character remembers everything that she did and not so much what he did. There are very small links to these 'painkillers' throughout the video that can be hard to spot (the female character and her friend drinking, the tobacco). To engage my audience I wanted to create audience involvement by having tinfoil over the CD and the CD needing to be popped out similar to a pill. I believe this will pull the entire digipak together and make it slightly different and quirky. The tinfoil is covered in the name of the album and also has the band's name on it much like those that cover normal drugs/painkillers.

I decided to keep my poster and digital very close related and concise to ensure that they could be memorable to a consumer so that when the album came out they would recognise it. On one hand, because I wanted to keep my entire concept very fandom based and driven I believe those who would be fans of Ego Honey they would know it was one of their videos. This would be due to the references and the style of the shots and video overall. However, it could also not be known to those who aren't huge fans due to all of them not being so closely similar. I do not think this would affect my video/digipak as because of the way in which the digipak is made/designed I believe it would be interesting enough for someone to pick it up.

I used inter-textual references throughout my video that could also be considered effective. I used a 'Friends' like moment within the video that depicts the female character jumping into a setting. This is seen in the opening credits of the 90's show.

I also took a lot of influence from other music videos such as the use of the mainly narrative aspect from 'Ammonia and Bleach' by Emily's Army. I liked the way in which the band members are involved within the narrative of the story, and although I didn't specifically use it I did consider it. I did however take the aspect of the conflict between the couple and have that of a focus of the video.

I think that I definitely created 'band identity' through the use of genre links. These would include creating story throughout the video and the use of drugs and alcohol to follow the 'rock and roll' lifestyle that most bands follow. My aesthetic also promoted the band identity as it was something that can either be very obvious to be the band or not. The aesthetic also linked closely with the genre as I have explained above.

No comments:

Post a Comment